Thursday, May 29, 2008

Long Road to Recovery


Hello everyone! I am finally back to work today after one full week at home after surgery.

The surgery went beautifully. I couldn't have had a more caring husband and OR staff at the hospital. They were very reassuring and went out of their way to calm my nerves and take care of me. The surgery took about an hour. The doctor said that the hole was small enough to repair with sutures only and some stitches. (For those of you who didn't know, the surgery was repair of a ventral hernia in the abdomen.) It took me half an hour to wake up from general anesthesia and I was my happy talkative self once I woke up. I hear I have a tendency to talk the nurse's ear off after I wake up. Jonathan took me home at 1pm on Thursday and took care of me the rest of the day.

Friday Jonathan went back to work which was fine because I did nothing but sleep all day. That night we drove (well, Jonathan drove and I slept) to see family for the three day weekend. Most of the weekend I did nothing but sleep downstairs. It was nice to see everyone and we returned home Monday night. Tuesday we both had fillings at the dentist and enjoyed some "happy gas". We both had the giggles and probably enjoyed the visit a little too much. Wednesday I stayed home and... guess what.... slept! This morning I am back to work and hope that I won't be in too much pain today. It gets better everyday but I feel far from 100%.

Thanks for all your concern, everyone. The phone calls and emails have been very touching. It's always nice to be reminded how many people out there love you.

No comments: