Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Happy Earth Day 2009!
Happy Earth Day everyone! This is our second year to observe Earth Day. I would encourage everyone to take the Ecological Footprint quiz on the Earth Network website at www.earthday.net. I consider myself an ecologically-minded person: I recycle nearly everything we use, we are vegetarians (which makes a big difference), we own and use only one car, we bring our own re-usable bags to the grocery store, and minimize our use of utilities. I was completely shocked after taking the quiz to realize that it would take more than 3 earths to sustain my lifestyle if everyone on the planet lived the way we do. This is horrifying and unacceptable. The problem is, developing countries are increasingly adopting the Western consumer lifestyle, so it is completely possible that someday soon we all will live such wasteful lives. Our earth is not renewable - once it's gone, it's gone. Our children and grandchildren will live in a less diverse, less beautiful earth because of our laziness. I would apologize for jumping up on a soapbox but this is the day, of all days, to be aware of how precious our earth is. Very simple and easy behaviors can help us save the planet. So please, take the quiz. If nothing else, it is important to be aware. Hopefully, awareness will foster action. Try to recycle, don't take plastic bags from the store, try to cut down on meat and dairy consumption, turn out the lights and tvs and other appliances when not in use. These are simple things that will add up immeasurably if we all do them. Not everyone can afford to be as wasteful as we have been in the West. Let's do our part to save the rest.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment