Monday, April 23, 2012

17 weeks and a chilly Earth Day

Last week was incredibly busy. We are winding down to the end of the semester, but it feels less like a winding and more like a made race to the end. We both had some disappointments and some frustrations that made the week even more hectic. I've been trying to focus less on the intensity of our work load and more on the joyful things that happen every day with the baby.

 I am still feeling great. I've had a little indigestion and heartburn, but nothing too bad. I've had a normal amount of energy and no sickness. I do feel winded more easily when going up stairs and walking briskly on campus. I'm also finding some yoga poses to be more challenging and will have to be modifying them soon. One interesting thing is that, due to my 25% increase in blood volume, I can feel and hear my heartbeat any time I am still and quiet. I don't even have to listen for it. I can feel it by touching any part of my body. I've gained about 5.5 pounds total, and continue to exercise nearly every day (light jogging, walking, yoga, and light lifting).

The baby has been moving a lot this past week. I have felt him/her about every day or every other day. Perhaps the most special time was after yoga last Sunday. Yoga already makes me more calm and introspective - it's one hour that I spend not worrying about everything I have to do. At the end, I curled onto my side for shavasana (I'm too far along now to spend very much time on my back), and the baby was so excited. I was overjoyed as I put my hands on my belly and felt her/him communicating with me. It was an incredibly peaceful, joyful, calm, yet exhilarating moment. And this time it wasn't just a few light flutters - it was constant churning. The baby was jumping and kicking. I know that he/she is too young to be doing this intentionally, but I like to think that she/he was connecting with me. I am loving our physical connection so much that I am wanting to hold on to it. I know it will be wonderful looking into those baby blues for the first time after birth, but this is the closest two beings can ever get to being one. And I am loving every single moment. The connection moment made me think about this little person and soul that I am carrying and nurturing. I wonder who she/he is, but at the same time, I feel that I know this little person. I don't know if all mothers feel this way, but it is indescribably transformative.

 Here is what is happening with Baby's development this week: "Your baby's skeleton is changing from soft cartilage to bone, and the umbilical cord — her lifeline to the placenta — is growing stronger and thicker. Your baby weighs 5 ounces now (about as much as a turnip), and she's around 5 inches long from head to bottom. She can move her joints, and her sweat glands are starting to develop." I read from another source Baby can start to hear my heartbeat and voice. I'm starting to sing and read stories to her, and we are thinking about what music we will play in the next few months. Yes, we are those parents who sing and read and play music to their unborn children. But really, does this surprise you? Studies have shown that babies prefer voices, stories, and music that they heard in utero. This is not an attempt to create a baby genius, as much as it is an attempt to connect with our baby.


The baby is as long as this pear from stem to end. I didn't really want to compare our baby to a turnip. Yesterday we tore ourselves away from our computers to enjoy the Earth Day festival downtown. This is one of the treats of living in a non-Midwestern, Midwestern town. There you can see all kinds of diversity - women in hijabs, international students of all nationalities, rural (and urban) farmers, hippies, belly dancers, tarot readers, etc. They are all united in their efforts to lead and promote sustainable lifestyles. We love going to this festival because we see all of these people come together and find common ground. We love learning about the newest ways to make homes more sustainable, new sustainable home and parenting products, how to raise urban chickens, and learn about different points of view. The opposing smells of patchouli and funnel cakes mingle in the air. As long as we live here, we will take our children to this event to let them see how people of many different backgrounds, religions, and viewpoints can look past their differences to see what they can do together to make this world a better place for future generations.


Additional fun this weekend - J.J. and Jonathan napping on the couch, and glorious homemade pizza. In case you're wondering, that is homemade whole wheat crust, homemade sauce with fresh herbs, organic onions, red and green peppers, green olives, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, and 5 organic cheeses - mozzarella, sharp cheddar, pepperjack, feta, and parmesan. And the crust was lightly brushed with sun-dried tomato olive oil. Seriously - YUM.


PS - I could feel the baby moving as I wrote this post. She/he is saying hi!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello to you two (three)! I know you've had a mega-busy week, and I appreciate you taking time to offer these regular updates on little Cisco! It's a thrill to read about him/her, and won't it be a thrill to share these bits of history when he/she is old enough to truly appreciate the most obvious love and care, even before birth! WOW! All my love...Dad

Peg's Pantry said...

Sounds like you are enjoying motherhood to the fullest! Also, do can you mail me a slice of that pizza?!
Love to you both!
JoMama