Sunday, April 8, 2012

15 weeks and Happy Easter!

Okay, is it just me, or is time flying by at an alarming pace? It is incredible that I am nearing 16 weeks. How is that possible? If time continues at this pace, I will have a newborn in my arms before I can get used to being pregnant!
Feeling great in the second trimester is fantastic! I'm not nauseous, I have loads more energy (though I still get moments of fatigue), no heartburn yet (knock on wood), no swelling, and little trouble sleeping. The only symptoms that even remind me that I'm pregnant are frequent headaches and indigestion (though these happened when I wasn't pregnant...). Okay, the only thing really reminding me that I'm pregnant is the rubberband around my jeans button! Oh, and how none of my bras fit. Oh, and the fact that I'm crazy moody. And I was beginning to worry that I wasn't pregnant anymore. Hurray for tight pants, big boobs, and mood swings!

Strange food cravings are mostly a thing of the past - did I ever mention that a few weeks ago I was putting broccoli on my pizza? Now I just want lots of fresh foods - no more heavy winter comfort foods. I want salads, corn on the cob, fruit, and frozen yogurt. I'm ready for summer food! I've gained about 5 pounds so far, which is normal, and have been trying to keep up with exercise at least most days each week. Yum - fresh, clean spring/summer food! Rainbow trout, corn on the cob, brussels sprouts, and homemade potato salad.

The baby is also developing a lot this week:
"Your growing baby now measures about 4 inches long, crown to rump, and weighs in at about 2 1/2 ounces (about the size of an apple). She's busy moving amniotic fluid through her nose and upper respiratory tract, which helps the primitive air sacs in her lungs begin to develop. Her legs are growing longer than her arms now, and she can move all of her joints and limbs. Although her eyelids are still fused shut, she can sense light. If you shine a flashlight at your tummy, for instance, she's likely to move away from the beam. There's not much for your baby to taste at this point, but she is forming taste buds. Finally, if you have an ultrasound this week, you may be able to find out whether your baby's a boy or a girl! (Don't be too disappointed if it remains a mystery, though. Nailing down your baby's sex depends on the clarity of the picture and on your baby's position. He or she may be modestly curled up or turned in such a way as to "hide the goods.")"
>> Just so you don't get your hopes up, we don't plan on doing the gender ultrasound until 20 weeks.

Easter has brought me feelings of excitement and anticipation. We have neighbors with a 4 and 6 year-old, and today they were hunting for Easter eggs in their backyard. How I look forward to doing things like that with our little one! Just think, a year from now I will have a chubby 6 month-old who I will unapologetically dress up in a bunny or baby chick outfit. With ears. And it will be adorable. I hope your Easter included some kind of enjoyable spring activity, especially chubby babies dressed up!

Another piece of exciting news came our way this week - my cousin is pregnant! Her baby will be about 10 weeks younger than ours. We grew up together, so it is a neat thought that our children will be close in age. And her eldest will no doubt love to have a sibling to play with. Yea for sweet babies! And another currently-pregers lady to share symptoms stories with. :)

So here's to spring! The giver of babies, bunnies, flowers, and Easter eggs!Look - a bunny in our yard!
A beautiful spring sunrise over our deck.

PS - Photo with apple coming soon - I couldn't bother myself to look nice enough this weekend for a picture, so I will post it later this week. :)

2 comments:

Ariel said...

Only 5 lbs? That doesn't seem like a lot... but I guess gaining something the size of an apple shouldn't weigh that much. Congrats to your cousin!

Anonymous said...

What an amazing trick of fate, that Mori & I shared our pregnancies, you & Kaylen were born within a month of one another, and now, here we are, with you & Kaylen sharing a similar situation! Hope your week is great! BTW, your dinner looks YUMMY! See you Friday! Lots of Love, mom